The PB was produced from October 1962 until October 1965 and was available in either the entry-level Velox trim or the more luxurious Cresta – as with the example on display here. In an obvious cost-cutting move also adopted by BMC with their 1800 and Maxi models, both variants of PB shared similar doors and sill sections as the FB Victor.
PB was much more restrained stylistically than its transatlantic-styled predecessor the PA. Gone were the tailfins, wrap-around windows and excessive chrome, but as though reluctant to drop everything from the past, the bench front seating and column gear-change had been retained.
In October 1963 an estate conversion, using a steel-framed glass fibre roof extension and tailgate and the rear door from the FB estate, was built in conjunction with Martin Walter Ltd but fully approved by Vauxhall. The vehicle displayed is one of the last produced and has the larger, 3.3 litre engine as fitted from October 1964 along with optional automatic transmission; it also displays the face-lift features including a new, full-width grille and a chrome strip along the body.