Although this car was the 45th to have been built by Vauxhall Ironworks in 1903, this is now the second oldest surviving original Vauxhall and the oldest surviving four-seater Vauxhall. On this four-seater vehicle, the passengers sit in front of the driver. Interestingly, the body of the 5hp is a composite wood and steel structure.
This model has a single cylinder engine and tiller steering system with an engine speed regulating control on the tiller. The 5hp did not have a reverse, but features a chain driven transmission to the rear axle and a two-speed epicyclic gearbox. Wheel steering was not introduced until after 1904, and at this time, Vauxhall’s swapped the featured wire wheels for artillery ones.
This particular vehicle on display entered the Vauxhall Heritage Collection in 1995, and went on to take part in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run the following year.