Derived from the Morris Eight Series using the Morris structure, the Wolseley Eight had the distinctive nose and an OHV engine. Due to be introduced in 1939, WWII delayed it until after hostilities had ceased. By 1948 5,000 had been built and a new range of models replaced the pre-war designs.
Three prototypes were probably built but only this one survived the war. It was Lord Nuffield's personal car and he used it to travel back and forth to Cowley from his home, Nuffield Place, a journey of 17 miles. Despite access to much grander cars, the Wolseley Eight was his choice, right into his eighties. Lady Nuffield's Wolseley Eight survives at Nuffield Place.