When Morris took Wolseley over in 1927, development of the four and six cylinder Hispano Suiza-based OHC engines continued.
The 1930 Hornet used the six-cylinder and established a fashion for small sixes. For 'Specials', Wolseley built only the rolling chassis. Specials had wider tracks than factory saloons and tuned engines with twin SUs. The purchaser then took the chassis to a coachbuilder to have a custom-made body fitted.
This body was built by Whittingham and Mitchell via Wolseley's London distributors Eustace Watkins. Hornets were popular and provided competition for MG - also owned by Morris. When Morris decided to rationalise the selection of sports models across his companies, he chose MG sports cars and finished the Hornet range.