Introduced just before the 1965 Motor Show, the Triumph 1300 was the first front-wheel drive Standard-Triumph. It was meant to replace the Herald model, but the project was more expensive than intended it became an additional model in the range.
The car was fitted with a 1296cc version of the Herald engine, unusually mounted longitudinally over the gearbox. The ride was excellent for its class, the 1300 sharing the same suspension setup as its big sister, the 2000. Interior comfort was good and the front seats had nine way adjustment and with an adjustable steering column, suited all drivers.
In 1967 a twin carburettor version, the 1300TC, was launched. The 1300 was superseded in 1970 by the rear-wheel drive Toledo.