The Standard Motor Company Ltd started in Coventry in 1903 with the name chosen to reflect its dependable vehicles built to reliable and constant standards. In 1908 the distinctive Union Flag badge appeared.
The four-cylinder 20 hp was produced in 1913 and 1914. The large 3.3-litre engine was a monobloc casting but with old-fashioned thermo-syphon cooling.
The cabriolet body fitted to this vehicle on display is called a Cheltenham. This car was found in dilapidated condition in 1930 by Ewart Bradshaw, Chairman of Loxhams Garages. It was then stored until 1958, when it was moved to the company's Kendal premises and subsequently renovated. The Cheltenham was re-acquired by Standard-Triumph in 1965.