Rover P5 was introduced in 1958 with a 3-litre 6-cylinder engine. It was always rather underpowered and this problem later overcome by fitting the 3.5 litre aluminium V8 engine acquired from Buick.
The V8 engine went into the 3.5 litre model introduced in 1967. The P5B, as it became known, was made until 1973, with a total number of 18,536. The 3.5 litre offered luxurious and dignified motoring with a good turn of speed. This particular car – one of the very last built - was the personal property of Queen Elizabeth II and is finished in a special dark green. It is fitted with a radio/telephone and a discreet blue light in the windscreen.