The 1948 P3 was the first post-war Rover, although the styling closely followed the traditions of the pre-war period. It had a new chassis with independent front suspension and a new engine with overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
There were two models; the 6-cylinder '75' and the 4-cylinder '60', both sharing the same chassis and bodies. There was a choice of two body styles; this four-light saloon, sometimes called the sports saloon and a six-light saloon.
The P3 was in productions for less than two years, replaced at the 1949 Motor Show by the P4. This particular car was only the sixth to be built and was originally supplied to Spencer Wilkes, the Managing Director of the Rover Company.