In 1912 all previous Rover models were discontinued and replaced by two new cars designed by Owen Clegg, the 12 and the 18. Apart from different sizes of engine these shared many features of chassis design. Although the larger 18 did not meet with any success, the 12 sold well. Almost 6,000 were made prior to the First World War and it continued in production well into the 1920s, but renamed the 14.
The landaulette body was inherited from horse-drawn carriages, characterised by having a hood which only folded over the rear seat.
This car was originally owned by Lord Catto, governor of the Bank of England and, later, by Lord Rollo of Scotland before being acquired by the Rover Company.