The Rover Cycle Company Ltd brought out its first motor car, the 8hp, in 1904. In 1905 the Rover Company Ltd introduced the 6hp, which was simpler and cheaper than 8hp.
The 6hp had a conventional chassis made of wood and, surprisingly for the time, rack and pinion steering. The gearchange was on the steering column, an idea re‐discovered by American car manufacturers 30 years later.
The 6hp was advertised at a mere 100 guineas (£105) and the model was produced until 1912. These two light Rovers, the 6hp and the 8hp, were among the most popular small cars of the Edwardian era and they survive in relatively large numbers.