In 1926, the Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach (Dixi-Werke) agreed with Austin to manufacture the Seven under licence. Production of the German version began in 1927. With left-hand drive the engine was a mirror image of the original Austin.
In late 1928 the Dixi factory at Eisenach was bought by BMW of Munich and continued production of the Dixi until 1932. About 25,300 examples of the German-built Austin Seven had been manufactured by 1932.
They feature the Dixi badge as well as the BMW roundel. Acquired by the BMW Museum in 1985, Bernd Pischetsrieder presented this car to the Trust in 1994 to mark the new partnership between BMW and Rover Group – and that the first BMW car was conceived in Britain.