In 1906 Austin occupied just over two acres and employed 270 workmen, building 120 cars. The Forty and the Sixty, produced between 1907 and 1912, were the biggest Austins ever made. By 1912 however, Austin realised the future lay in mass-production of small, economy, cars.
Forty is rather misleading, for the engine is rated at 36.3hp. The car is built on large and generous lines, with a 9ft 11in wheelbase. The chassis is conventional, with half-elliptic springing and artillery-style wheels and fitted with an impressive and nicely trimmed York landaulette body.