The Swallow Coachbuilding Company of Blackpool (forerunner of Jaguar) began as a motorcycle sidecar manufacturer and moved into motorcars during the 1920s. The key to expansion was an order for 500 Austin Seven based Swallows, placed by London dealers Henlys Ltd in 1927.
Compared to the utilitarian Austin the Swallow coachwork was dignified, distinctive and up-to-the-minute. The success of this order led to expansion in 1928 and a move nearer the heart of the Britain's motor industry, in Coventry.
By the time this example of the Austin Seven Swallow was bodied, Swallow itself was moving towards building its first complete car, the SS1, which was launched in 1931.