Rover’s P5 design originated in the 1950s and was first introduced in 1958 with a 3-litre 6-cylinder engine. It was always rather underpowered and this problem was not finally overcome until Rover bought the design rights to a 3.5 litre all-aluminium V8 engine which had been discarded by the Buick division of the American General Motors Corporation.
The V8 engine went into the 3.5 litre model introduced in 1967, together with a new Borg-Warner automatic gearbox which was standard equipment - a manual version was never offered. In this form the 3.5 litre was made until 1973, with a total number of 18,536 cars being made.
The 3.5 litre offered luxurious and dignified motoring with a good turn of speed. It was often chauffeur driven and found its own niche in a very select market. This particular car was the personal property of Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and is finished in a special dark green colour. Inside there is other extra equipment fitted such as a radio/telephone. When the car was in service, a discreet blue light in the windscreen was installed.