Wolseley was taken over by Morris Motors in 1927. The new management decided that the Wolseley marque would serve the luxury market, leaving the mass-market to Morris.
The Wolseley Nine of 1933, became the smallest car made by the company since the takeover. The overhead camshaft engine was traditional Wolseley practice but the illuminated radiator badge had only been introduced the previous year.
The Nine was only slightly more expensive than the Morris Ten and offered rather up-market motoring to the status-conscious car buyer. A surviving list of car numbers suggests that approximately 13,000 Nines were made during the two seasons the model was current. Of these 12,500 were saloons, most of the rest were unassembled chassis exported to Australia.