Introduced in 1958, the 3-litre was the first Rover to have unitary construction. The engine was an enlarged version of the overhead inlet and side exhaust valves design.
Designed by David Bache, initially only the saloon was available and it was not until 1962 that the coupé was put into production as part of the revised Mark II range.
The coupé was distinguished by its lower roof, more raked windscreen and narrow door window frames. Inside there were individual bucket seats for four people only.
The Mark II cars had more power and much improved performance. The coupé gained power-assisted steering and on manual transmission cars such as this one, overdrive was standard.