Rover realised that there might be a market for a more comfortable Land Rover, where the car could be used on the road or to transport people, whilst still being capable off-road as its basic counterpart. Tickford was commissioned to design the new model – the station wagon – with a metal rear body on a wooden frame. With space for seven people, it had four folding rear seats which could be removed for extra storage space. Having a split, folding tailgate, the body was finished to a high standard, with single piece windscreen, winding windows and cover for the bonnet mounted spare wheel.
Unfortunately the station wagon was not a commercial vehicle and attracted Purchase Tax, making it almost twice the price of the basic Land Rover. By the end of production in 1951, only 641 had been produced and more than 600 had been exported. Only about 20 survive today.