In the winter of 1907/8, Austin built four cars for the French Grand Prix. The car on display is a fifth built from the remains of two of them which crashed during practice.
Three Austins started and two finished in 18th and 19th places. This car, the only survivor from the team, is the 18th place finisher driven by J T C Moore-Brabazon (later Lord Brabazon of Tara). Austin's only Grand Prix appearance, the cars were sold shortly afterwards.
Owned by Sir Hickman Bacon in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, he had a touring body made which could be detached to leave a two-seater. He presented the car back to Austin in the 1950s.