Alvis was the pioneer of the front-wheel-drive racing car and was the first in Europe to introduce such a model.
The Alvis FWD of 1925 had a number of novelties. The engine was mounted back-to-front with the inboard brakes either side of the differential (like a modern racing car) and the frame and panels were made from Duralmin.
In 1927 the cars gained independent suspension, and the following year a production model was offered that was praised by journalists for its acceleration, brakes and ride.
The FWD was also available with a supercharger – like this one – and this car was driven in the 1928 TT race at Ards, Ulster, by Leon Cushman. It came second, just 13 seconds behind Kaye Don's Lea Francis.