The Albion Motor Car Company was founded by Norman Fulton and Thomas Blackwood Murray in Glasgow on 30th December 1899. They sold their first A1 dog-cart in 1900.
The ‘dog-cart’ took its name from a type of horse-drawn carriage which has an enclosed space for dogs under the seat, a convenient place for the engine on a motorised version. Though rather dated by 1900, the dog-cart was still popular in Scotland. The occupants sat back-to-back, so it was known as a ‘dos-à-dos’, the French phrase for back-to-back.
This Albion has a horizontally opposed water-cooled 8hp twin cylinder engine, hidden under the back seat. It was originally fitted with tiller steering but was converted to wheel steering early in its life. It also has solid rubber tyres and large carriage-like wheels.
Albion produced several other models of motor car, but in 1913, they decided to drop private car production in favour of commercial vehicles. In 1951 Albion were purchased by Leyland Motors.